Saturday 9 September 2017

NOT A PRANK


NOT A PRANK

‘If a dog bites a man, it is not really a big deal to hear. But when the other way round is being echoed, the ear drum becomes lively to hear more, and the tongue; eager to ask why. If you hunt for your enemies at the village square, you will be hunted by your friends on the battle ground’.

These words ended a nicely orchestrated African drama performance at the National Theater. It was one of the happiest moments in the life of every young African blood who yearns for the dominance of his culture over flamboyant western infusion; that has not only left our culture desecrated, it has totally taken over the minds of so many people including my good friend Kwame. I don’t really blame him for his disregard for the local cultural content, but it saddens me when people don’t really care about who they are or where they come from. A performance that blew the mind of so many, the lovely girlfriend of Kwame; Mansa was more than happy. However, none of this seem to have triggered anything called joy in the heart of her ‘mix-raced’ boyfriend. In fact, as far as Kwame was concerned, that was the most boring night we have ever spent together.

Kwame takes me out every night on my birthday. Unfortunately, he has to take me out a night to my birthday because he would be travelling the next morning. It was a good coincidence for me to use the opportunity and schedule a very quiet smooching time with my girlfriend; Nafisa, the love of my life. Belated as it maybe, I still enjoyed it as every birthday night spent with Kwame and Mansa.



On our way back to campus, Mansa and I were drowned in reminisce of the just ended performance. We replicated the dance moves and the nicely orchestrated drama display. It was so good seeing Mansa repeating almost every phrase used in the last speech of a kind who was to be sacrificed for the freedom of his people.

We continued to sing at the back seat of the car whiles Kwame sat quietly on the front seat, looking outside the window. To us, he had no interest what so ever in all that was been discussed by Mansa and I. He never altered a word for over thirty minutes of our noise making. After nearly an hour of driving, Mansa suggested we play a little prank on Kwame just to make him feel a little lively. I did not really know what will make this guy pay attention to us. I tried tickling him and pretending to be sleeping, but he never said a word. I removed my shoe lace and threw it to his face to scare him, but it didn’t work. After running out of ideas, we resorted to using the one thing that he cared about the most in his life to play a prank on him.

Mansa took the middle seat and laid her head on my chest. The idea was to make him feel jealous and cry out. It sounded fishy, but Mansa finally convinced me that it would definitely work on him. I did not see it as a bad move because he has played a similar prank on me before and we all laughed about it.  I however failed to look at the context at which I was playing this prank as not really funny, but I wanted to cheer up my friend. Besides, even though it was my day, I had to convince him that he would have the best night at the national theater than going to the Turkish Restaurant for some unknown Turkish meal. I saw it upon myself as a friend that I still had the opportunity to make it up to him. Little did I know that the last words of the king in that drama play, was actually going to be experienced by me.

Finally, Mansa lays on my chest and we both looked comfortable like we have been mooching for hours. A few meters to our hostel, Kwame told the driver to take us to Mensah Sarbah Hall, where Mansa stayed before heading towards to the Vandal City. At the close of the road just before the vehicle started to slow down, I also closed my eyes in pretense that I was also asleep. The vehicle finally stopped and I expected to hear Kwame’s voice but I didn’t. Neither did I hear a band on the door by anyone getting down. I felt silly and happy because I knew my prank was hitting him, but the silence was too long. And just when I opened my eyes. I saw the shock of my life. I felt like that cursed thief in the old Sissala Legend; who goes to bed in his room and wakes up on top of the Afajato Mountain. I opened my eyes to see Kwame holding up his camera and filming everything. At that moment, my silence had already proven me guilty of what it seemed as mooching with his girlfriend. Immediately, my two other roommates appeared from nowhere. After a few minutes, a scene was created. I felt stupid in the situation to open my mouth and say; it was just a prank. Oh! My God, we over did it; I said to myself. I tried everything possible to convince Kwame that it was indeed a prank. But the anger and the disappointment in his face made me a dumb and a complete idiot.  Mansa was not very helpful in solving the situation, she stood there quietly for a while and left for her room. Kwame on the other hand, sat back in the car and went to the hall without me.  It was a long shameful walk from the Mensah Sabah hall to the Vandals City. When I got to the hall, it was a parade of all the bad boys in the hood, who did not like my friendship with the rich Ghanaian-American. They kept poking and laughing at me, calling me all sort of names; the mooching killer, papa-mia, king mooching, etc. I just couldn’t take it any longer.

Finally, there I was, standing in front of my door and yet feeling like; a stranded lamb seeking for shelter in the house of a wolf. If I had my way, I would have slept elsewhere. I just couldn’t imagine what awaited me the very moment I walk into that room. Without announcing my presence, I decided to enter without knocking. I gently opened the door and entered. It was so very dark I could barely see my own fingers. I thought Kwame was sleeping so I didn’t want to turn on the light. After all, I had caused him too much pain to deny him a sound sleep.

Half way into the room, I heard footsteps behind me. I became very terrified as I knew what a man could do to fight for the one he loves. Even though Kwame is a very patient person, I couldn’t afford to think he had very cruel plans to get back at me for what he is accusing me of doing. I turned around suddenly with fright and a little bit of anger. Unfortunately, I saw a female figure; it was no other than Mansa. Several thought stared to run through my head but I refused to settle on one. Before I could utter a word, she turned on the light and smiled at me. Then I heard a mix of laughter and applauses from behind. All my friends were in the room including Kwame. Everyone was holding bottles of drinks and food was all over. Then Kwame pulled out a huge cake with my name boldly iced on it. He came close to me; looked deeply into my eyes and said to me; happy belated birthday to the best friend I have ever had in my entire life.

At that moment, I became an embodiment of a confused man who did know what to do. Verily; emotional intelligence never made sense to me till that very day. I was so shocked to see everyone laughing and deeply rooted into what seemed to me like some merry making. At the end of the day, it was obviously the time someone told me what exactly was going on as I sincerely did not have a clue. Can someone explain to me what is happening here? I asked in surprise. Then, Kwame started to explain; Mansa and I decided to give a very special take this time around by playing a prank on you.

That was what she suggested we played on you; I asked while I turn to look at Mansa, demanding a confirmation from her.  She smiled and continued to explain; we orchestrated this whole plan and it work. The whole time when Kwame was looking disappointed from the theater was all an act. As a matter of fact, he actually liked the performance. Like the performance? Kwame interrupted; I loved it, he said with joy. And to prove that, here is your ticket. We are watching the next performance tomorrow night.

Wait a minute; but you are travelling tomorrow; I asked. Well am sorry I lied to you but the good thing is, I cannot miss your birthday for anything in this world. It was all part of the plan, and so am all available for every fun tomorrow; Kwame said by tapping my shoulders.

I felt so relieved of my guilt. I felt a kind of happiness that can almost be equated to seeing snow fall for the first time. It was as if I had accomplished a huge task and removed the heaviest burden in my life. Deep down my heart, I knew my joy was not from the fact that Kwame was not pissed off with me and that it was all a prank on me, but rather, I was happy my prank on Kwame did not succeed. Had it not been a planned event, the outcome indicators would have not been too different. I saw the importance of assertiveness and pro-activeness in all my dealings. As a matter of fact, I still owe Kwame an apology as a faithful friend. Had it been a test of loyalty, I would have failed.

Fortunately for me, whiles the party was going on, Kwame walked up to me at the balcony to render his apologies for all that I had to go through to finally realize it was all a prank. It’s fine, you did what you had to do for me; I said. As a matter of fact, am also sorry I agreed to play a prank with your girlfriend that way.

The party is there, not here; an expected interruption from Mansa, as we noticed she was not comfortable with our isolated chat. We joined everyone in the room, and it was all about the rhythm of the song against the waist. It was a long night of fun, laughter and joy. But at the end of the day, great lessons were learnt, friendship bonds were depend and lovely memories kept. What started out as a prank, was actually not a prank, but a rejuvenation of happiness and a long journey of happy stories.

The end…

No comments:

Post a Comment